Thursday 14 July 2016

My Answer for "What are some of the greatest examples of Absence of mind?" at Quora

Incident No. 1
This happened to me during my college days. I studied in Loyola college,Chennai and I stayed at my college hostel. Since I am bit introverted guy, I did’t have many friends that time and I used to eat alone in my mess. To pass boredom and to go unmindful about the taste of food served at my mess, I used to call my mom daily during my dinner time and start speaking with her summarising all the happenings of the day. One day, I chose to dine outside. As usual I was having a lengthy conversation with my mom.
I ordered a plate of Idli and a Dosa (and also a filter coffee, if I remember right). I finished eating everything and the server handed me over the bill. It was an unsophisticated hotel, where people used to pay the bill themselves after eating at the counter. That time, I was somehow more deeply involved in my narrations of the day.
Just like, going out of the hostel mess after eating, washing my hands, I started moving out of the hotel.
I left the hotel and entered my college premises. Even then my dialogue didn’t end. After walking some 60 yards inside my campus, it hit my mind.
I said, “ Aiyo, Amma saaptutu panam kodukama vandhuten”
(Mummy, I forgot to pay after dining)
My mother, being a typical Tamil mother, got even more shocked.
She said, “Dei.. Ippa enga iruka..Pinadi yaaravadhu varangalanu paaru”
(Where are you? See someone is chasing you)
I felt myself this way. :)
Incident No. 2
During my CA-Articleship, there used to be a friend of mine who is known for naive character. He, being the senior most in the office, used to handle the case of one of the high income tax payers among our clients regularly. The particular tax payer passed away during the year. For the past three years he has been filing IT returns for the tax payer.During the month of September, CA-s would be extremely busy. They would not find time to pay attention towards each filing of return.
As per Income tax act, if a tax payer dies his legal heir should file IT return in respect of the tax payer.
That guy filed the return of income as if the dead assessee is filing the return of income.
Our principal asked him during the 3rd week of September, when we are doing under peak pressure “Did you file the return for that assessee?”.
He replied enthusiastically “ Yes sir”.
Our Principal with a smile said this - “Very good. When did you collected documents from his son?”
Only then he realised his mistake. With a scanty smile, he replied “ Siiiiiir, I forgot that he is dead”
Rest of us had a hard time that day in finding some private place to burst out our laughter.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment